The first defense of a Unified Conference belt this season saw it change hands, while the first champion-versus-champion game was a close game before the Big Ten Battle Belt holder took the MAC Battle Belt. Week 3 was not without its moments.
Week 4 is action packed as Ohio State turns around to defend its newly-acquired MAC Battle Belt against Western Michigan; this will be the MAC’s last scheduled chance this year. At least the MAC will have a chance next year as the Battle Belt of the Sun Belt was defended by Oregon do not have a scheduled game against a Sun Belt team over the next couple of seasons.
Mississippi will defend both the Unified Conference belt as well as the SEC Battle Belt when it hosts Vanderbilt; Vandy only held the Unified Belt twice and has not done so since 1983! Meanwhile, TCU will defend the Unified Big 12 belt when the Horned Frogs visit Texas Tech. There are also two Heritage Belt defenses [Southern and Southwest], as well as a Middleweight defense of the Sun Belt. Week 4 will be busy.
Week 4 Unified Conference Belt Defenses:
- Big 12: TCU (c) at Texas Tech [second defense of their first reign]
- SEC: Vanderbilt at Mississippi (c) [first defense of their fifth reign]
Week 4 Battle Belt Defenses:
- Big Ten: Western Michigan at Ohio State (c) [fourth defense of 19th reign]
- MAC: Western Michigan at Ohio State (c) [first defense of second reign]
- SEC: Vanderbilt at Mississippi (c) [first defense of eighth reign]
Week 4 Middleweight Belt Defense:
- Sun Belt: Appalachian State (c) at Old Dominion [second defense of first reign]
Week 4 Heritage Belt Defenses:
- Southern: Georgia Tech at Duke (c) [second defense of second reign]
- Southwest: Texas A&M (c) at Arkansas [seventh defense of seventh reign]
Week 3 Results
- ACC Battle Belt: Florida State successfully defended against Boston College
- American Battle Belt: Temple successfully defended against Massachusetts
- Big Ten Battle Belt: Ohio State successfully defended against Northern Illinois
- MAC Battle Belt: Northern Illinois lost to Ohio State
- Unified SEC Belt: Alabama lost to Mississippi
- SEC Battle Belt: Alabama lost to Mississippi
- Battle Belt of the Sun Belt: Oregon successfully defended against Georgia State