In an ideal world, Alabama and Oklahoma State would face off against one another to determine which team will face LSU in the BCS Game.
But, this is not an ideal world but the surreal world of the BCS. And since there must be an arbitrary choice made, it is worth while looking at both teams and how each measures up.
First, I am not interested in arguing the merits of the “rematch.” By this, I mean that I am not concerned with the “Alabama had their shot” argument. The BCS has never been about avoiding rematches, but matching up the two best teams regardless of if it creates a rematch or a game with a team that did not win its conference. For all of the arguments that Alabama had their shot, I’d counter that they had no choice; it actually seems that Alabama is being punished for playing in the SEC (and having to play LSU).
So, the “we don’t need a rematch” should be a moot argument.
Now, before I delve into this, I should explain some of the numbers. Strength of schedule is takes into account winning percentage, opponents’ winning percentage, and opponents’ opponents’ winning percentage; it also removes the impact of the teams wins (and loss) on their opponent. Offensive Ratio looks at the team’s offensive average versus the opponents’ average defense; Defensive Ratio looks at the team’s defensive average versus the opponents’ average offense. Points For Ratio and Points Against Ratio are similar to the Offensive and Defensive Ratios. Ranked Teams At Time are the number of ranked teams each faced at the time of the game; Ranked Teams Current are the number of teams each faced based on the current Coaches’ Poll.
Alabama Crimson Tide
- Record: 11-1 (0.917)
- Conference Record: 7-1 (0.875)
- Conference Rank: 2nd
- Preseason Rank: 2nd
- Strength of Schedule: 9th
- Offense Ratio: 1.27 (6th)
- Defensive Ratio: 1.8 (1st)
- Points For Ratio: 1.52 (6th)
- Points Against Ratio: 3.0 (1st)
- Teams Ranked At Time: Five (4-1)
- Teams Ranked Current: three (2-1)
- Winning Percentage of Defeated Teams: 61-59 (.517)
- Best Win: Arkansas (38-14)
- Winning Percentage of LSU: 12-0 (1.000)
Oklahoma State Cowboys
- Record: 11-1 (0.917)
- Conference Record: 8-1 (0.889)
- Conference Rank: 1st
- Preseason Rank: 8th
- Strength of Schedule: 11th
- Offense Ratio: 1.29 (5th)
- Defensive Ratio: 0.976 (80th)
- Points For Ratio: 1.46 (9th)
- Points Against Ratio: 1.25 (28th)
- Teams Ranked At Time: four (4-0)
- Teams Ranked Current: three (3-0)
- Winning Percentage of Defeated Teams: 75-57 (.568)
- Best Win: Kansas State (52-45)
- Winning Percentage of Iowa State: 6-6 (.500)